Monday, April 5, 2010

tile cutters


I recently bought another tile cutter from Georgie's--a hexagonal one, and am cutting tiles for tables with it. Because the plunger plate is metal, I usually add a piece of luann plywood which I glue to the face plate, and which then makes the release of a wet clay tile easier.  The first tile cutter I had (4 inch square--from back in the '70's) did not plunge the tile out beyond the frame of the cutter, so, until I glued that thin piece of wood onto the plate, I could not get the clay off. [top photo, plunged all the way out.] These are photos I used to write a letter to the helpful hints section of Ceramic Monthly.  More photos of the hex cutter and drying tiles to follow.

3 comments:

  1. Now you can make an octagon tile table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ann,
    My husband makes premade and custom shape/size tile cutters without the plunger, for those of us who work in relief (texture). There is a clear or opaque version. Please go to his website www.corysclaycutters.etsy.com or www.claytilecutters.webs.com to see if this is something you might use. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A different one I used or found. Its unique I can say.Thank you for sharing with us.

    Tile Cutter

    ReplyDelete