Monday, May 24, 2010
When I have a particularly problematic deadline, I sometimes procrastinate (for my helpful editors, no,I didn't really mean to type the word, prevaricate, instead---just a slip of the tongue, and thanks for reading the blog! Let me know if there are any other slips!) (you could say I was experimenting artistically, while putting various constraints on the production process). Recently, while recovering from a procedure on my right leg, which was supposed to be kept elevated, I received an order for an award platter, due within a week. I had also read the Ceramic Arts Daily email which showed a short, fairly explicit video of Kristina Bogdanov showing how to make a photo lithograph which could be transferred to a softer leatherhard surface. Since my background was in printmaking, I was intrigued. I took some drawings I'd done in pen and pencil to Kinko's,make Xeroxes, and mixed up the cmc gum, and the linseed oil and mason stain (peacock--I have a lot of it and don't use it very much). I also mixed up vegetable oil and stain---pretty similar. Then I gummed the Xerox, got out the brayer, and inked the print of the drawing. I wanted to try it on a glazed surface as well as a leatherhard one, so I sprayed water on the surface of a mask I'd done, and tried doing a transfer of the bird drawings. Here are photos of one of the birds, as well as of the transfer image onto the mask, with the bird on the left side of the photo. It was harder to get the transfer to work on the glazed areas, since the glaze is pretty dry. The final photo shows the drawing I did of trees on the hill above the Vatican in Rome, and the tile, covered with white slip, since my clay is dark, with the transfer of the image in the peacock stain. When the mask is fired, I'll slip in an image of it, as well.
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)