Here are the tiles, hexagonal, with one little diamond one filling in the front edge space-----cut and drying on the old pieces of sheetrock (gypsum board), which had been duct-taped around the edges. I stack the sheetrock and tiles up, ending with a final board covering the tiles, so they will dry flat. Using the tile cutter also helps keep the tiles flat since I don't have to roll the tile up off of the cloth/table to release it. If I am cutting more of a puzzle-style set of tiles, I can slip the set, still on the thin sheeting, off of the piece of granite I use for a flat rolling surface, and onto a piece of sheetrock, cover with another piece of dry-ish sheetrock, and let it get to leatherhard before I do the final puzzle cutting and pulling the clay off the sheeting. (too many sheets, sheesh!)
I think I may tile the old Steelcase desk (that's Peter's, but is in my studio,) just to try out the effect. And I may also try the beeswax/mineral oil finish, which I did on a square plate, recently, instead of a glaze. (I've been looking at old French tiled floors.) I used to have the pugmill on the desk, but have moved it over to a workbench, next to the extruder, so there's not that much weight on the desk right now. Except for Paulie, now and then. Diet time for kitties.
Coming up, I'll show some images of the dies I make out of clay, for the 4" Brent extruder barrel.